Skip to content

General

91 results found

1. Change deletion requirements.

Some stories which were originally just to be suspended go on to the point of no return, where those who are still in the story never look at it. This means that if the narrator decides they want to delete it they cant because no one else will confirm in the comments. I say that the story should only be deletable by the narrator without the consent of other players after 3 months of no activity.

13 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow players and narrators to view a reputation history for one another

I'm love storium so far, but the biggest issue I've come across so far is that most games quickly fizzle out, most often because the narrator or players simply vanish and stop posting. It's pretty frustrating to develop a well thought out character and never see the story get off the ground.

This has its drawbacks too. We'd probably see higher rated "veteran" users selected over new ones, but there has to be some way to encourage narrators and players to responsibly commit to the game they're starting/joining. Improved profiles with ratings and/or stats for successful play would give users…

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

User profiles show the number of current, completed, retired and suspended games so that other users are able to see the patterns of play each user engages in.

3. Offer a lurker mode

Lurker mode = let a player watch a game in progress for a while, to get a feel for how the game works.

If this messes with the mechanics, maybe 1) offer it for only a limited time, and/or 2) offer it in a limited area -- like, maybe in a special designed-for-beginners world called Lurker World. The limited time might be a problem, if someone used up all their hours, but then wanted to lurk again, so that they could lurk along with a friend, and explain what was happening.

Thanks!

Rachel

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Users can learn about Storium mechanics through the player tutorials or through joining a Beginner Game run by an experienced Mentor. They are also able to read along with any games that are not marked private.

4. Allow us to favourite game once in it.

I can see that a game can be Favorited if you aren't in it, but once your in it you can't. Would be nice to favorite, as I can see the right hand star being a source of rating or pride in the future. Lot's of favorites/likes will be a measure of popularity.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Create a lower pricing tier for "players only".

These players could play in games, but not Host or Narrate. Perhaps even limit the number of games they can be active in at one time.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    declined  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Card Prompts

I'd love an optional field on a card that allows you to provide a prompt. After the description, you have an italics/bold text that says something like:

When you use this card, you must describe how your overpowering strength helps you, but also some way in which you cause collateral damage.

This in combination with strong and weak outcomes would allow ppl to flavor their stories to taste. It is a way to use prompts to enforce style and tropes.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Narrators can control these outcome through challenges, encouraging players to explore all aspects of their card plays. Alternatively, prompts can be put in the text field.

7. Lock challenges for X Minutes

I think it would be useful to allow the option to be able to lock the storyline while completing a move. Give a certain timeout on the lock (like 30-60mins). This way the players don't have to announce in the comments that they're working on something.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Completed stories

Don't send "start new scene" reminder emails for games whose concluding scene has been completed.

Cheers

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Make games Private by default when you create them

Just my tinfoil hat guy talking. I think public games should be something you opt into, rather than out of.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. What's the Motivation Not to Play All Your Cards?

Not only do you get your Strengths and Weaknesses back sooner by spending them faster, you'll also win reward cards by completing challenges. Both of those mechanics are incentives for players to hog the spotlight. What is to keep them from doing this, apart from not being a dick? (Obviously, no one wants to play with a jerk, so that's relatively self-correcting, but even the nice players feel a little bad doing the opposite of what the game rewards them for).

I'll think up specific possible solutions if you like, but for now, my suggestion is high-level: The game mechanics…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Narrators set a limit on how many cards can be played per player, per scene. The default is 3 cards but can be adjusted anywhere from 1-5.

11. Improve character dialogue

RIght now character dialogue is a challenge. Each main character is controlled by an individual player - to have true "back and forth" dialogue either I have to start writing for another player's character or we have to only have one exchange a turn. Writing for another player's character is probably counterproductive given Storium's strong (and useful) push towards important character decisions being the bailiwick of their individual players.

Here are some ideas for this (although all have their downsides too):

1 - A chat tool that can pop up a mini-dialogue between two (or more) characters, like a 'mini-turn'…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

These are great suggestions, thanks! It’s not super clear right now, but you can use Moves to conduct dialog. Every player can make as many Moves as they like in a scene, and in any order. So it’s easy to say something to one character, have them respond, and so forth.

We are going to come up with some better language here so things are clearer. Sorry for the confusion!

12. add a "change image" in the image area of a card.

I found out you could change the image on the card in the edit card area, but it might be more encouraging to have the edit in the "image" area of the card.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Get info on a story's world

I'm reading a couple of stories and I feel like the ability to get more info on just in what kind of worlds those story take place would improve the experience.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Character completion progress bar should include card images

Since you can't edit card images after approval, it should be called out in the sidebar that it's an optional requirement.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add a Prolouge Option

Sometimes we, as narrators, need to start the story off with a page or two of exposition to set the stage that may NOT be part of the first, interactive, chapter.

For now, I can post this in a Google Doc, and refer folks to it, but it'd be better if I could include this IN the game.

Maybe the trick is to end the first Chapter Before anyone acts in it? That seems like a hack. :/

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Narrators can publish and end as many scenes as they like before introducing characters/challenges. If needed narrators can use the Green Room or comments to make their intentions clear so that players do not act until they are ready.

16. Be able to see the story

When you submit a character but the story has't started yet be able to see not just the character you submitted but also the storyline.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Clearly show how to reposition game image

It's difficult to tell that the "Crop" button can be used to reposition the image as well. I thought that the site had auto-cropped my image to what was visible, and that was unfortunate because the top of the arch was cut off. I was about to dart off to an image editor when it occurred to me to hit the "Crop" button, at which point I realized the whole image was there and I could pick what was displayed.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow for editing of commentary

It'd be nice to fix typos or edit for clarity. Maybe a time limit before commentary becomes fixed in stone?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Correct your "formatting help" for lists.

It currently says you begin lists by putting "*" at the beginning of the line, which is completely incorrect.

Also, the working trigger, "1. " is unintuitive, and even worse, "2. " acts exactly like "1. ", if you put "2. " as your first list number, it renumbers it back to 1.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Andy K

Some UI change suggestions!
    I'd love to see this URL http://storium.com/how_to_play linked to the top menu somehow, it's super important.

Also, by default, it takes you to storium.com/# , which is a different (and smaller) view than storium.com/ : The former does not have News, Start a Game button, etc.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)