Skip to content

General

96 results found

1. Allow assets to serve as Strong or Weak toward a challenge outcome

Sometime it doesn't make sense for an Asset to be neutral towards the outcome of a challenge. If you're trying to kill someone, for example, using a Gun asset seems like it would be awfully helpful. Or if you're trying to cover a long distance quickly, it seems odd that a Car asset would only be neutral. On the other side of things, if the challenge is to take care of some guards while attracting as little attention as possible, using a grenade would definitely take care of the guards, but it would also make a lot of noise and…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. lose 'nudges'

Back in the day, when there were few communication options open to narrators, this may have been a really useful piece of functionality, so I'm absolutely not dissing the original decision to have it.

But now that there are character comment areas, PMs, discussion areas and comment sections, allowing for a 'nudge' seems to just encourage narrators to use a non-communicative automated response when a message would do a much better job.

Having spoken to some other folk, I've discovered that Storium users, on balance, find nudging to be irritating at best and at worst downright rude. If you think…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. notepad - scribbles - concept notes

It would be nice for the narrator - but also for the players - to have a private notepad. The narrator could assemble ideas for long-term plot development there and have it connected right to the story. A player could take notes about conditions and planned development for their own character or important facts in a story.
    For each story its own note-place.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. 'Last one to play always wins'

In the current framework, the last person to play a card on a Challenge gets to write the outcome for that Challenge (assuming it's not the Narrator).

That's a bit problematic in that other players can do all the 'work' (so to speak) of playing Strengths and lining up a strong outcome, but it's the person who gets in last that actually gets the narrative control.

Best case scenario, that can mean that a player who simply hasn't had the time to respond right away (which is the case in my group) suddenly gets the narrative power and is put…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks very much for that thoughtful feedback. This is one of the key mechanisms we are evaluating in this playtest, so it’s great to hear what you think about it.

The idea behind this mechanism is the “winner gets to narrate” model encourages people to play more cards sooner and make moves faster, so as to win control more often. Essentially, it’s a carrot to motivate people to “play harder”. And since playing your cards gets you closer to getting new cards, it is always a good thing to do it, even when you don’t end up winning the challenge.

Now, whether or not this is all actually true — and effective — remains to be seen. We’re keeping a close eye on it and will keep your feedback in mind for sure! Stay tuned…

5. Allow users to edit/delete comments

Minor thing: I'd like to be able to go back and edit things I've written in the commentary. Along the same lines, and mentioned by others: letting the comment box grow as we type, and allowing for multiple paragraph comments (I tried using shift+enter to start a new graph which accidentally posted my comment which prompted this feedback). Not a huge deal, but would be useful to long-winded jerks like me.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow narrators to delete games

It's great that we can retire games, but we should still have the ability to delete a game. Not all narrators are treated well and not all games have cooperative players. If the narrator wishes to withdraw the effort and be done with it, they should have the right to-- they're the ones doing the lion's share of the effort. How did this get taken from us with 10 votes?

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will figure out a way to allow game deletion while also respecting players’ rights to their own content. This may take a bit because our current architecture doesn’t support editing a game’s history, extracting a specific user’s contributions, or exporting game content. All of these things are planned, though.

7. Who favorites my game?

I noticed my game has been favorited by people. I can see why making favorites public may be a bit intrusive, but it would be cool if I could know whether these are actual people outside my game interested in what's going on, if it's the players within my game, or what. Basically, I'd like it if favorites worked more like followers on Twitter.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Character Submission Closure

Hello,

I recently was writing up a character submission, and while I was proof-reading it, the narrator closed the submissions. When I went to save, I was told that I could no longer submit what I had spent my time on creating - a character rooted in ideas based on the story he wanted to tell.

I would've loved the opportunity to, at least, submit what I had written. Thankfully, I copied and pasted the text into another document, otherwise, it would've been lost completely.

Is it possible that if you are mid-character creation that you be given a timeframe…

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. "Blocking" cards

Here's a weird idea.

"Blocker" cards must be played, at least one per challenge, until they're all gone. You can play a strength or a weakness or an item as well, but until the blocker cards are gone, they must be played. Worse, they count as 'weak'.

However, when you finish the stack, you get a wild strength for each blocker card you played.

What would these be used for? "Chained up". "Drunk." "Dazed". Anything where there's an ongoing, temporary effect that drains a character. Narrators could place them like objects or give them to characters as appropriate.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback!

Just wanted to make sure you saw that you can write and save scene drafts? That allows you to write the next scene before publishing it.

If you’re talking about writing scenes that are further into the story’s future — say, beyond the next scene — that seems difficult since the narrator doesn’t yet know what the players are going to do next, right?

Thanks for any additional thoughts on this…

11. make goal cards private.

This may already be the case (and I can just see them because I'm narrating), but I just gave my players contradictory goals to experiment with texture in the narrative. Is that visible to the players? Or do they just know they've been given a personal goal?

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Currently, any card in play is visible to everyone, and each characters’ cards are visible to everyone. The only cards that are “private” are the ones that the narrator holds in their hand.

We’ve toyed with various ideas for making some information “secret”. This is a good addition that we will put into the mix, thank you.

12. End Game Button

I would love a button to just end a game, instead of having to create a final scene. Unfortunately I had a game abandoned by the majority of the players, and it was a hassle to end the game because I had to end the scene. Then start a new "final scene" and then end it too.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fill in challenges with different colors based on the cards

Currently, challenges show empty squares until someone plays a card them, and then they fill in with green. I would like the colors to correspond to the cards--perhaps green for strong, red for weak, and grey for neutral--so players don't have to keep scrolling up to check what the balance is before they play their own cards.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Offer 'Sliders' for either characters or stories

Many games explicitly have, or are often described, with the phrase 'sliders' - Much like these UI elements, the idea is that it represents movement back and forth across a continuum of options.

How 'Hard' is the science in our SF game? How much is this game split between Mystery and Horror? How much control of NPC's does the Gm want to cede to players? Of course, you can't think of every one of these continuums, so why not make them an option for Narrators to use when describing their game? These are ubiquitous web elements already, and could be…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Holistic vs "As of Now" Character Edits

Under the current system, when a player edits their character, that change is reflected by all posts made by that player, however sometimes a player wants to have their character evolve through the story and have their description/avatar reflect that. For example, one character in a story I'm a player in switched sides for a little while, switching to an alternate persona, and edited their profile to match, however, this change was reflected by the entirety of the story, all the way back to the first scene. When I first logged in after the change, I was confused and didn't…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FYI we are looking at ways to do this. One that we particularly like is to link “as of now” edits to playing your Nature card, and thus making it a big event in your character’s evolution. For example, when Luke’s Nature card changes from “Farmboy” to “Rebel pilot”, and his photo and description get updated to match.

16. Alter the Number of Strengths and Weaknesses by World

The world itself should specify the number of strength cards and the number of weaknesses each player gets. This would help with genre. A thriller game should probably have an even number of strengths and weaknesses. But an action game romp should probably be tilted slightly to strengths — Aid the power fantasy. And a comedy? Should be much more weakness tilted: Things going wrong are far funnier than things going right.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Let Narrators limit posting frequency

Narrators can suggest a pace, such as "Normal (2-3 scenes per week)", but Players able to move more frequently than the suggested pace risk moving the story too quickly for others to participate.

In lieu of a fixed posting order, it'd be helpful if Narrators could optionally enforce move frequency limits on Players to prevent some Players from running away with a Scene.

For example, Pat and Erin are playing a Scene. The Narrator could configure the Scene to prevent Players from moving more than two more times than any other Player in a 12-hour span.

Pat moves twice in…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Autocomplete User Names

In the commentary track, I am trying to speak to another player in the game with their User Name. I noticed other people did the same, but typos caused problems and prevented notifications. If it would be possible to enable an autocomplete function, for user names within the same game, that would be excellent.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow character edits before the story starts.

Unless I've misunderstood something, Open Invited players can't revise their character without a Narrator Requesting Revision, and it doesn't seem that's even an option for directly invited players. I invited a bunch of my friends and we all rushed through character creation and now it seems we are stuck with a lot of identical Strengths and Weaknesses.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Story and Character Downloads

Hi Storium,

LOVE THE GAME! I have one request. I would find it very helpful to be able to download a text file of the story so far and character descriptions of those who are playing. That would help a lot for players to maintain continuity without having to go back through all the online scene screens to review who has which object; what that little plot twist was and who made it; even details like what the setting is.

Thank you,

Dawn Cromwell
    The Story Seeker

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here