Skip to content

General

96 results found

1. Allow Open Lobby without listing game as Looking for Group

I like the idea of allowing a peanut gallery to comment on the game as it progesses. Maybe even offer suggestions or talk about the game as it happens. Like people watching a TV show together.

But leaving the Lobby open for this discourse also sets the game to Looking for Group, which will confuse people who are trying to find games. So as it is, it's not really going to work.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. How do I get at the custom cards I've created in other games?

I've narrated several games, and in the course of them, I've created, probably, hundreds of Strength and Weaknesses of a generic sort useful for any a game.

When I am setting up a new game, is there a way I can get at those custom cards I've created myself? For Add cards, I see "Add from world" and "Add custom" but the latter only seems to look at the current game, not other games I have created.

Is there a way to do this that I am missing?

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. lose 'nudges'

Back in the day, when there were few communication options open to narrators, this may have been a really useful piece of functionality, so I'm absolutely not dissing the original decision to have it.

But now that there are character comment areas, PMs, discussion areas and comment sections, allowing for a 'nudge' seems to just encourage narrators to use a non-communicative automated response when a message would do a much better job.

Having spoken to some other folk, I've discovered that Storium users, on balance, find nudging to be irritating at best and at worst downright rude. If you think…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Multiple Improvements to Favorites Implementation

There are a number of ways that we could improve our currently handling of Favorites (Stars) to make them more useful for the community. Right now, the problem is that Favoriting a story also means 'following' it for update purposes, which can make it problematic to have more than a couple if you pay attention to your Favorites feed. Part of the trouble there is also that you can't just see a list of your favorites to track one story, and then move to another that's been updating when you're ready. You're locked into chronological view-everything (and even see comments…

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. make character creation non-sequential.

The thing I am finding I don't like about character creation is that it is hard-wired in to be sequential. I don't like that at all. Sometimes I think of a weakness before I can think of a good strength. Sometimes, I want to write the character description and name before I even think about creating or choosing cards. It's somewhat frustrating that I cannot see and be able to choose from all of the options available for all of the card types at one time, rather than having to choose the Nature first, and so on. I would rather…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Fill in challenges with different colors based on the cards

Currently, challenges show empty squares until someone plays a card them, and then they fill in with green. I would like the colors to correspond to the cards--perhaps green for strong, red for weak, and grey for neutral--so players don't have to keep scrolling up to check what the balance is before they play their own cards.

10 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Allow Narrator-Player communication from the moment a character is *started* rather than *complete*.

I definitely appreciate the new private commentary sections that we have on the player character pages--very nice. But I'd like to ask for one adjustment...it'd be nice to have that become available from the moment a player starts a character rather than when the player submits a character.

Sometimes as a player I've had questions about a Narrator's world that I need resolved, and the only way to do it at the moment is to complete a temp character and send a note to the narrator with approval.

And as narrator, I can see if people I have invited have…

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Visibility of games on player profile

It would be good to be able to choose the visibility of suspended games and retired characters in one’s profile, probably? This isn’t an issue for me but it seems like a logical thing to include.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. The "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card

One way of promoting player vs. player interaction would be to introduce an "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card. Unlike conventional challenge cards (with strong or weak outcomes), an Opposing Outcome Challenge would be used by players to determine which of two mutually exclusive outcomes take place. The accompanying image shows what two of these cards might look like.

The challenge presents two alternative Courses Of Action. These COA’s might be in the form of two choices (administer conventional medicine or an untested experimental vaccine in a medical game; reason with a creature/monster or attack it in a sci-fi/fantasy game; voting for…

178 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add a true wild card

I'm finding in one game that having wild strengths as goal rewards is strangely limiting. I know there'll be more reward options in the future, but what if one of those options was a true wild card? The player could set it as strong or weak (or possibly neutral, I suppose) when it's played. That would allow for a LOT more flexibility.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Use the border around character avatars to indicate card usage

Segment the border around each character portrait and use the three segments to indicate how many cards each character has left to use in the scene.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Alter the Number of Strengths and Weaknesses by World

The world itself should specify the number of strength cards and the number of weaknesses each player gets. This would help with genre. A thriller game should probably have an even number of strengths and weaknesses. But an action game romp should probably be tilted slightly to strengths — Aid the power fantasy. And a comedy? Should be much more weakness tilted: Things going wrong are far funnier than things going right.

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. "Blocking" cards

Here's a weird idea.

"Blocker" cards must be played, at least one per challenge, until they're all gone. You can play a strength or a weakness or an item as well, but until the blocker cards are gone, they must be played. Worse, they count as 'weak'.

However, when you finish the stack, you get a wild strength for each blocker card you played.

What would these be used for? "Chained up". "Drunk." "Dazed". Anything where there's an ongoing, temporary effect that drains a character. Narrators could place them like objects or give them to characters as appropriate.

17 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow players to take over games as Narrator after extended period of Narrator inactivity or ineffective activity

Some games stall when Narrators either go missing, or only post ineffective content that doesn't really move the game along. After a reasonable amount of time, or a string of ineffective posts, it would be great if the players could contact Storium and request that the game be reassigned to one of them.

Most players put a lot of thought, time and energy into their characters and their posts, so when Narrators are absent, or when their posts reflect a low level of interest in the game, players have to either wait it out, or retire. Either option is frustrating,…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow assets to serve as Strong or Weak toward a challenge outcome

Sometime it doesn't make sense for an Asset to be neutral towards the outcome of a challenge. If you're trying to kill someone, for example, using a Gun asset seems like it would be awfully helpful. Or if you're trying to cover a long distance quickly, it seems odd that a Car asset would only be neutral. On the other side of things, if the challenge is to take care of some guards while attracting as little attention as possible, using a grenade would definitely take care of the guards, but it would also make a lot of noise and…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. The narrator advice pages should talk about not writing in motivations or intentions for PCs.

A game I've been in has had a problem where the narrator opens a scene and describes (inaccurately) the motivations and intentions of the players. Even if the narrator is willing for these intentions to be subverted, that sort of thing should never make it into narration, because it's inaccurate, confusing, and stifling to players. New narrators should be advised to leave PC thoughts, feelings, motivations, and intentions out of their narration as much as possible, and let the players actually play and make their own choices.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Autocomplete User Names

In the commentary track, I am trying to speak to another player in the game with their User Name. I noticed other people did the same, but typos caused problems and prevented notifications. If it would be possible to enable an autocomplete function, for user names within the same game, that would be excellent.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Notification Readablility

The current notification sidebar is very short and list format gets quickly clogged up by streams of comment notifications. If you put how much activity has passed since you last saw a story on the games thumbnail itself it would improve readability and show you how much activity has passed on the games themselves. Allowing players to keep track of the games they are a part of more easily as notifications that fall off the edge of the sidebar on the homepage never reach me. See attached image for an example.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Holistic vs "As of Now" Character Edits

Under the current system, when a player edits their character, that change is reflected by all posts made by that player, however sometimes a player wants to have their character evolve through the story and have their description/avatar reflect that. For example, one character in a story I'm a player in switched sides for a little while, switching to an alternate persona, and edited their profile to match, however, this change was reflected by the entirety of the story, all the way back to the first scene. When I first logged in after the change, I was confused and didn't…

9 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FYI we are looking at ways to do this. One that we particularly like is to link “as of now” edits to playing your Nature card, and thus making it a big event in your character’s evolution. For example, when Luke’s Nature card changes from “Farmboy” to “Rebel pilot”, and his photo and description get updated to match.

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base