Skip to content

General

96 results found

1. Allow narrators to pick NPC characters for scenes without making them obstacles.

Narratively, I'd like to pick NPC characters that are currently in a scene and not have to make them all obstacles for the players. Perhaps I have three jungle explorers that I want my player to talk to, in order to get needed information. I'd like to be able to include all three NPC explorers as characters in the scene (with their pictures and such). But make the obstacle more general with a separate card.

950 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Allow co-operative narration and world building

I'm sitting here with my girlfriend while she's setting up a custom game. And since we both know what this is about, things would be so much easier if we could both edit the same things. But right now you can only have one narrator. It would be nice if a narrator/creator could invite other people to share their editing abilities. Co-GMing is hardly a new thing, and I'd assume eventual world building will be much easier to do with two or three people than alone.

Thank you for your time.

394 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Permit mutually-exclusive obstacles to allow greater player choice

Right now, all the players are, by default, on the same "side" in all conflicts. Allowing the Narrator to set mutually-exclusive obstacles will let players use Storium's mechanics to work at cross-purposes.

I know that a Narrator can set two Obstacles and end the scene manually when one is met. I think implementing this as a Narrator-side choice from the beginning will allow more dynamic stories.

369 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Custom Card Bank

Allow custom cards made by the narrator to be tied to the narrator and used for new games. Allow narrator to pick and choose from previous custom cards when creating a new game. Allow narrators a venue to trade cards or ideas for cards.

323 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Player vs player conflict

There doesn't seem to be any way to have player vs player conflict. I mean I could create an obstacle, but that seems to be a little ... flat? There really isn't any benefit or penalty to the players other than just ... kind of being there?

Thoughts:
    Be able to add characters to the character or conflict system.
    Be able to give up character's items and plot cards as possible rewards for winning.

201 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. The "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card

One way of promoting player vs. player interaction would be to introduce an "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card. Unlike conventional challenge cards (with strong or weak outcomes), an Opposing Outcome Challenge would be used by players to determine which of two mutually exclusive outcomes take place. The accompanying image shows what two of these cards might look like.

The challenge presents two alternative Courses Of Action. These COA’s might be in the form of two choices (administer conventional medicine or an untested experimental vaccine in a medical game; reason with a creature/monster or attack it in a sci-fi/fantasy game; voting for…

178 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Give Narrator full edit control always

Sometimes mistakes happen, retcons need to be applied. Please give the narrator the ability to edit everything in the story at any time. Hopefully experienced players will rarely need it, but even the best players make mistakes.

145 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Phone App

Have a Storium App added to the App store so I can play wherever I go

117 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Let players award Karma to each other

Karma does well at encouraging players to write setbacks and complications for their characters. But there are other kinds of awesomeness that deserve reward! It's pretty clear the "Adjust Karma" option is not intended for that sort of thing, so what if there were an "attaboy" mechanic by which players could award Karma to each other for moves they really enjoyed?

I'm thinking the Narrator could define a number of awardable Karma points per chapter, either per player or in a shared pool. Then by way of a "like" button of sorts on moves, players can zing Karma to each…

105 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Great suggestion, thank you! We like the idea of some manner of player-to-play recognition, and Karma might be a way to do it. Longer term we are also considering audience recognition — that is, people who are reading your story but not playing in it.

10. Allow assets to be set as Strong by the Narrator

I like the idea of Assets, but they tend to be things that will help the heroes' chances. It seems a little off for them to be considered neutral cards. It might be better to either make them special Strength cards that always move things towards a Strong outcome, or to let the Narrator set that as an option when creating an Asset.

(Actually, you could maybe let the Narrator set an Asset as Strong, Neutral, or Weak. The latter, especially when handed directly to a player instead of set on the field, could let them represent things like injuries,…

96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. allow changes to "nature."

As stories go on, characters change. I had a veteran monster hunter become a werewolf, for example. Alliegances shift, experience levels shift, and it would be helpful to create custom "nature" cards to reflect what characters become.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Dice Roller App?

Any chance of getting a Dice Roller App? Set the Die size (D100, D20, D12, etc) and the number of rolls? I'm thinking of cases of Writers Block or Creatively Got Stuck, rolling the dice for a random event, check percentages of things actually happening. Can't plan the fight scene? Dice war it.

76 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Multiple Improvements to Favorites Implementation

There are a number of ways that we could improve our currently handling of Favorites (Stars) to make them more useful for the community. Right now, the problem is that Favoriting a story also means 'following' it for update purposes, which can make it problematic to have more than a couple if you pay attention to your Favorites feed. Part of the trouble there is also that you can't just see a list of your favorites to track one story, and then move to another that's been updating when you're ready. You're locked into chronological view-everything (and even see comments…

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add a true wild card

I'm finding in one game that having wild strengths as goal rewards is strangely limiting. I know there'll be more reward options in the future, but what if one of those options was a true wild card? The player could set it as strong or weak (or possibly neutral, I suppose) when it's played. That would allow for a LOT more flexibility.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. distinguish between stories / adventures and worlds / campaigns.

I've created a game world for a story, but I don't really have a single story in mind (it's more of a context for stories and the first one is still evolving).

Ideally, I'd like to be able to take the story to a conclusion, then make a new story with the same persistent world and some of the same characters, then archive those stories under that world's banner.

At the moment, it feels like that might be the purpose of chapters, but I suppose it depends on the length of the story, and whether other people might want to…

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes! Love it!

This is something we have thought about quite a lot but have not yet built. We absolutely want Storium to support both short stories and long, ongoing tales that might span multiple “books”. Chapters aren’t quite the same thing — they’re just thematic demarcations within a single story.

It’s a fair bet that we will add this ability to Storium in the future, and we should be able to do it in a way that works for games and worlds you create today.

16. Allow Narrator-Player communication from the moment a character is *started* rather than *complete*.

I definitely appreciate the new private commentary sections that we have on the player character pages--very nice. But I'd like to ask for one adjustment...it'd be nice to have that become available from the moment a player starts a character rather than when the player submits a character.

Sometimes as a player I've had questions about a Narrator's world that I need resolved, and the only way to do it at the moment is to complete a temp character and send a note to the narrator with approval.

And as narrator, I can see if people I have invited have…

35 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Not require three identical strength/weakness cards in character creation.

I realize people have lots of opinions about this.

My instinct would be to have one "constant" Strength or Weakness that returns to the player's hand after play, like a permanent schtick. You still get three choose-your-own and one write-your-own.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FYI, we are still looking at this but the initial Gamma launch will have an evolutionary improvement. New characters will start with:

2 Strength cards
    2 wild Strength card
    2 Weakness cards
    2 wild Weakness cards

This gives you more flexibility at the start of the game (which you need it the most, because your character is new and not well-developed) without making the character creation process itself more complex.

18. Allow players to take over games as Narrator after extended period of Narrator inactivity or ineffective activity

Some games stall when Narrators either go missing, or only post ineffective content that doesn't really move the game along. After a reasonable amount of time, or a string of ineffective posts, it would be great if the players could contact Storium and request that the game be reassigned to one of them.

Most players put a lot of thought, time and energy into their characters and their posts, so when Narrators are absent, or when their posts reflect a low level of interest in the game, players have to either wait it out, or retire. Either option is frustrating,…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Allow challenge point overrides

So, I understand that you usually only have three points per player per scene. It would be nice to allow a Narrator override if the fiction warrants or the players choose.

31 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tag Categories

Ability to tag a story with categories users can search to find games they would be interested in.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?