Skip to content

General

96 results found

1. Allow Open Lobby without listing game as Looking for Group

I like the idea of allowing a peanut gallery to comment on the game as it progesses. Maybe even offer suggestions or talk about the game as it happens. Like people watching a TV show together.

But leaving the Lobby open for this discourse also sets the game to Looking for Group, which will confuse people who are trying to find games. So as it is, it's not really going to work.

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. lose 'nudges'

Back in the day, when there were few communication options open to narrators, this may have been a really useful piece of functionality, so I'm absolutely not dissing the original decision to have it.

But now that there are character comment areas, PMs, discussion areas and comment sections, allowing for a 'nudge' seems to just encourage narrators to use a non-communicative automated response when a message would do a much better job.

Having spoken to some other folk, I've discovered that Storium users, on balance, find nudging to be irritating at best and at worst downright rude. If you think…

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. The "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card

One way of promoting player vs. player interaction would be to introduce an "Opposing Outcome" Challenge Card. Unlike conventional challenge cards (with strong or weak outcomes), an Opposing Outcome Challenge would be used by players to determine which of two mutually exclusive outcomes take place. The accompanying image shows what two of these cards might look like.

The challenge presents two alternative Courses Of Action. These COA’s might be in the form of two choices (administer conventional medicine or an untested experimental vaccine in a medical game; reason with a creature/monster or attack it in a sci-fi/fantasy game; voting for…

178 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow narrators to pick NPC characters for scenes without making them obstacles.

Narratively, I'd like to pick NPC characters that are currently in a scene and not have to make them all obstacles for the players. Perhaps I have three jungle explorers that I want my player to talk to, in order to get needed information. I'd like to be able to include all three NPC explorers as characters in the scene (with their pictures and such). But make the obstacle more general with a separate card.

950 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add a true wild card

I'm finding in one game that having wild strengths as goal rewards is strangely limiting. I know there'll be more reward options in the future, but what if one of those options was a true wild card? The player could set it as strong or weak (or possibly neutral, I suppose) when it's played. That would allow for a LOT more flexibility.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow co-operative narration and world building

I'm sitting here with my girlfriend while she's setting up a custom game. And since we both know what this is about, things would be so much easier if we could both edit the same things. But right now you can only have one narrator. It would be nice if a narrator/creator could invite other people to share their editing abilities. Co-GMing is hardly a new thing, and I'd assume eventual world building will be much easier to do with two or three people than alone.

Thank you for your time.

394 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Permit mutually-exclusive obstacles to allow greater player choice

Right now, all the players are, by default, on the same "side" in all conflicts. Allowing the Narrator to set mutually-exclusive obstacles will let players use Storium's mechanics to work at cross-purposes.

I know that a Narrator can set two Obstacles and end the scene manually when one is met. I think implementing this as a Narrator-side choice from the beginning will allow more dynamic stories.

369 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Custom Card Bank

Allow custom cards made by the narrator to be tied to the narrator and used for new games. Allow narrator to pick and choose from previous custom cards when creating a new game. Allow narrators a venue to trade cards or ideas for cards.

323 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Player vs player conflict

There doesn't seem to be any way to have player vs player conflict. I mean I could create an obstacle, but that seems to be a little ... flat? There really isn't any benefit or penalty to the players other than just ... kind of being there?

Thoughts:
    Be able to add characters to the character or conflict system.
    Be able to give up character's items and plot cards as possible rewards for winning.

201 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow assets to be set as Strong by the Narrator

I like the idea of Assets, but they tend to be things that will help the heroes' chances. It seems a little off for them to be considered neutral cards. It might be better to either make them special Strength cards that always move things towards a Strong outcome, or to let the Narrator set that as an option when creating an Asset.

(Actually, you could maybe let the Narrator set an Asset as Strong, Neutral, or Weak. The latter, especially when handed directly to a player instead of set on the field, could let them represent things like injuries,…

96 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow players to take over games as Narrator after extended period of Narrator inactivity or ineffective activity

Some games stall when Narrators either go missing, or only post ineffective content that doesn't really move the game along. After a reasonable amount of time, or a string of ineffective posts, it would be great if the players could contact Storium and request that the game be reassigned to one of them.

Most players put a lot of thought, time and energy into their characters and their posts, so when Narrators are absent, or when their posts reflect a low level of interest in the game, players have to either wait it out, or retire. Either option is frustrating,…

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. allow changes to "nature."

As stories go on, characters change. I had a veteran monster hunter become a werewolf, for example. Alliegances shift, experience levels shift, and it would be helpful to create custom "nature" cards to reflect what characters become.

83 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Use the border around character avatars to indicate card usage

Segment the border around each character portrait and use the three segments to indicate how many cards each character has left to use in the scene.

8 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow narrators to delete games

It's great that we can retire games, but we should still have the ability to delete a game. Not all narrators are treated well and not all games have cooperative players. If the narrator wishes to withdraw the effort and be done with it, they should have the right to-- they're the ones doing the lion's share of the effort. How did this get taken from us with 10 votes?

20 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will figure out a way to allow game deletion while also respecting players’ rights to their own content. This may take a bit because our current architecture doesn’t support editing a game’s history, extracting a specific user’s contributions, or exporting game content. All of these things are planned, though.

15. notepad - scribbles - concept notes

It would be nice for the narrator - but also for the players - to have a private notepad. The narrator could assemble ideas for long-term plot development there and have it connected right to the story. A player could take notes about conditions and planned development for their own character or important facts in a story.
    For each story its own note-place.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Give Narrator full edit control always

Sometimes mistakes happen, retcons need to be applied. Please give the narrator the ability to edit everything in the story at any time. Hopefully experienced players will rarely need it, but even the best players make mistakes.

145 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Tag Categories

Ability to tag a story with categories users can search to find games they would be interested in.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 'Last one to play always wins'

In the current framework, the last person to play a card on a Challenge gets to write the outcome for that Challenge (assuming it's not the Narrator).

That's a bit problematic in that other players can do all the 'work' (so to speak) of playing Strengths and lining up a strong outcome, but it's the person who gets in last that actually gets the narrative control.

Best case scenario, that can mean that a player who simply hasn't had the time to respond right away (which is the case in my group) suddenly gets the narrative power and is put…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks very much for that thoughtful feedback. This is one of the key mechanisms we are evaluating in this playtest, so it’s great to hear what you think about it.

The idea behind this mechanism is the “winner gets to narrate” model encourages people to play more cards sooner and make moves faster, so as to win control more often. Essentially, it’s a carrot to motivate people to “play harder”. And since playing your cards gets you closer to getting new cards, it is always a good thing to do it, even when you don’t end up winning the challenge.

Now, whether or not this is all actually true — and effective — remains to be seen. We’re keeping a close eye on it and will keep your feedback in mind for sure! Stay tuned…

19. Who favorites my game?

I noticed my game has been favorited by people. I can see why making favorites public may be a bit intrusive, but it would be cool if I could know whether these are actual people outside my game interested in what's going on, if it's the players within my game, or what. Basically, I'd like it if favorites worked more like followers on Twitter.

19 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Not require three identical strength/weakness cards in character creation.

I realize people have lots of opinions about this.

My instinct would be to have one "constant" Strength or Weakness that returns to the player's hand after play, like a permanent schtick. You still get three choose-your-own and one write-your-own.

33 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FYI, we are still looking at this but the initial Gamma launch will have an evolutionary improvement. New characters will start with:

2 Strength cards
    2 wild Strength card
    2 Weakness cards
    2 wild Weakness cards

This gives you more flexibility at the start of the game (which you need it the most, because your character is new and not well-developed) without making the character creation process itself more complex.

← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base