Skip to content

General

96 results found

1. Link public commentary to the time of moves

Reading the excellent The Lady Vanishes is enhanced by the backchannel-like discussion/commentary, but it isn't clear when moves are being commented on, or 'spoiled' in the commentary. An optional or unobtrusive indicator of the link in time between the two sets of text would be great.

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Sorting out cards as narrator

After playing a game for a while, I've collected a great deal of different character/places/obstacles cards only sorted out by name. As the game goes on, surely, more cards will be added to that--to a point where it will be hard to pre-make a bunch of cards for the next scene, and finding them later when the cards actually need to be played.

I'd like to see an option to move cards into folders, allowing me to sort them out by whatever I want. For example, a folder in the character cards section for NPC of an organization, or obstacle-folders…

6 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add more info about the setting at character creation

When I was invited to the game, it wasn't very clear what was going on in the setting that was chosen. I guess I am supposed to help invent the setting by adding facts and establishing things in my character's bio, but it wasn't clear that this is how it's supposed to work (I just know that's generally how it goes in story games). I think it would be better if there were either more info about the chosen setting or if there were more guidance about how story games work for first time players and the extent of their…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the feedback, that’s really helpful perspective. Agree we need to do more here. There’s (usually) more context available as part of the fictional world you’re playing in, but we’re perhaps not showing enough of it to the new player. You also make a good point about the player’s agency over their character and the setting itself; we are looking for ways to make that clearer to newcomers!

4. display most recent move date in browse view

So we can see if the games are still active without having to click through

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. For some challenges, last card played selects different player as winner

As an option: allow the narrator to define a "pass the buck" challenge. The winner of the PTB challenge (last card played) must select some other player to complete the story.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. enable reordering of cards in play

I added some extra cards as afterthoughts, but they're not arranged in an appropriate way. I need to delete them all and readd them if i want to change that.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Provide better examples of narrative flow for Narrators

I've seen a trend in all the games I've played lately. Narrator opens the scene, everyone gets one response, playing as many cards as possible to beat the challenge, narrator closes the scene. Players don't get to make followup actions or ping back and forth in dialogue with other players.

This might be a playstyle thing, but in the game with Stephen Hood, Sage LaTorra, and Ryan Macklin, "The Lady Vanishes," the narrator responds and moves action along seamlessly between each character's move. There is space for back-and-forth dialogue (all done without using cards to move towards completing a challenge)…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. make character creation non-sequential.

The thing I am finding I don't like about character creation is that it is hard-wired in to be sequential. I don't like that at all. Sometimes I think of a weakness before I can think of a good strength. Sometimes, I want to write the character description and name before I even think about creating or choosing cards. It's somewhat frustrating that I cannot see and be able to choose from all of the options available for all of the card types at one time, rather than having to choose the Nature first, and so on. I would rather…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. implement a "bulk copy" button.

A method to make multiple copies of one or more cards would be great.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Group Notifications Together

I'm involved in several games and a notification for every comment and move can get overwhelming - perhaps grouping notifications since last viewing such as "Several people commented" or "several players have moved" might work better

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Make favorited moves/characters/stories even more useful

So we know that you're planning to add a more robust favorite system, being able to star more than just stories. I have some thoughts about expanding the mechanic.

First, I think a clever but rewarding UI addition would be a minimalist star-score in a writer's header (see attached), as well as on their profile page. Perhaps consider separating the categories, so that players can have their personal work 'galleries' that displays their public contributions on their own profiles.

Starring posts can also be a tool for quality regulation, while introducing another way to involve cards with storytelling. Not only…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. The narrator advice pages should talk about not writing in motivations or intentions for PCs.

A game I've been in has had a problem where the narrator opens a scene and describes (inaccurately) the motivations and intentions of the players. Even if the narrator is willing for these intentions to be subverted, that sort of thing should never make it into narration, because it's inaccurate, confusing, and stifling to players. New narrators should be advised to leave PC thoughts, feelings, motivations, and intentions out of their narration as much as possible, and let the players actually play and make their own choices.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Improve the UI of the All Notifications feed

It would be nice if all the notifications from one story were grouped (perhaps with a graphical element), or people somehow saw only the most recent notification from each game, or color-coding, or something to improve the wall-o-text.

Thanks!

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Character Info hover

When you hover over an avatar of other player in the game, the character info automatically comes up. This would be helpful, especially for larger games, to get a quick overview of players character's without having to scroll to the top and click on the avatar.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Create special challenges that can only be completed with a specific asset card

As other folks have mentioned, asset cards are not very useful/special in game play right now. What if the narrator could create special challenges that can only be completed with a specific asset card? This would give asset cards more value as well as force players to use up certain asset cards at important junctures. For example, if an NPC sends the players on a quest and gives them a special key to open a certain chest, it kind of defeats the purpose of the special key if they open the chest using a "Clever" strength card. Right now, it…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Make the interface arrows stand out a little better

One of my players who came in at the second scene didn't know there was any way to go back to the first scene, because his eyes passed right over the grey arrow that blended into the background. Maybe a brighter color or something? And/or a caption "Previous Scene"?

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Indication on homepage of games that need attention

With just 4 active games, I find that I spend most of my time on Storium trying to figure out where I should play, rather than actually playing.

It'd be great if rather than simply grouping games by "you're the narrator" or "you're a player in" on the homepage, if the homepage list of games were prioritized by how much they need your attention.

For instance:
    A game in which you've had the last move would go to the bottom of the list.
    A game where you're the narrator and all the challenges have been completed would move towards the…

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Tech issue: commentary not posting with ipad

Love this game! Trying to post commentary doesn't work with iPad. Just an FYI.

4 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sorry for your trouble! Note that in portrait (tall) mode on the iPad, you have to actually hit the “Submit” button in order to post your commentary. It doesn’t automatically submit when you hit enter. Did you maybe overlook the submit button?

19. "To the Top" function

In the mobile set-up specifically you can scroll forever and not find the bottom or the top of a page but there can still be a lot of scrolling in the browser as well. I would like to see a "to the top" option after each person's post and at the top a "To the Comments" and "To the Bottom" option as well as a footer with a link to the home page in it. These options will make site navigation easier on a mobile device and in standard browsers.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Scale Refreshes

Refresh is a really interesting thing to happen to a character, and it'd be awesome to have that happen faster early on - by my experience, it takes a couple of weeks before first refresh.

What if at character creation, you got 1 Strength card, 1 Weakness and 1 Wild each.

At first refresh, you pick up your 2 S, 1 W, where the new S card is a copy of any of the cards you played (so you could have more of your starting S, or more of your Wild S.)

At second refresh, you take 2 S, 2…

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)