Skip to content

General

73 results found

1. More interaction from the Storium creators and More capability to join the community!

Basically, I was hoping for more interaction from the Storium creators signalling that they are still alive and they are acknowledging the players. When you first join the sight, the lack of announcements and signals that the site is live causes you to initially stumble around aimlessly. Only if you're lucky enough to come across the right people, the 'world' per se, becomes open to you. Otherwise, tough luck. I was very lucky and stumbled upon the thriving community in one of my first games and have since jumped upon the bandwagon, though I worry for those who are unlucky…

0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for the direct and constructive feedback. We are definitely here and working hard. We know we need to do a better job of being visible, and will try to do so!

A lot of our work lately has been focused on StoriumEdu, a new verison of Storium that is designed for educational use (to help build students’ skills and motivation as writers). Our goal with StoriumEdu is to reach more people, have a bigger impact, and (last but not least) establish a sustainable business which in turn enables us to hire more folks to help with Storium.com!

If you’re up for it, could you elaborate on what you mean when you say you’d like “a function to help bring new players to the somewhat hidden community”? Thanks!

2. Ability to search games, users, and worlds

A way to search the existing games more efficiently than going down the list 5-10 at a time would be a great idea. Some of the games featured in the Kickstarter info, I'd like to check out.

694 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  33 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Character Relationship Cards

I would like to see cards that establish relationships with other player characters that you could then call on to address challenges. This would integrate the player characters better and allow for more player interactions.

621 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Narrator Pause Button

It would be nice to have a way for the Narrator to pause the ability to make moves in a scene until they are ready to allow the action to continue. This way they could pause the scene after someone makes a really disruptive or 'dick' post and then 'resume' once it is straightened out without having the moves continue roughshod along making it impossible to reverse something.

496 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. export function

HI,

sorry, this may be redundant but is there a function for exporting finished games/stories as pdf for archival purposes? I'm hosting a side-campaign of an original rp here, and this would be killer for our group - so that other members can catch up and for my personal reference as a dm.

309 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  24 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Table of Contents

It takes a long time to navigate previous scenes and chapters in longer stories--can you add a table of contents to make it easier?

130 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  14 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Player-made Starter Worlds

Allow the community to make starter worlds and share them with other people. Would improve the collection dramatically!

7 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Parallel scenes, each w/ only specified characters

One scene at a time in monolithic procession, with the expectation that every character will interact, isn't working for us. As narrator I cut a scene too short but couldn't go back; I want to run two at once, i want to interleave two scenes, all currently impossible.

318 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We will soon be adding the ability for the narrator to explicitly specify which characters are in a given scene. Would that help a bit?

Meanwhile, you can visually segment the action in a scene by using a horizontal rule (“-” in our layout syntax). Note also that the system does not require that players make a move in every scene. So you can ask someone to “sit this one out” and the scene will be able to progress just fine. Hopefully these techniques can get you un-stuck for the time being?

Regarding simultaneous scenes, we’ve received this suggestion from a couple of other users, too, and so we are thinking hard about how we could add it to Storium without making things difficult to use and understand. It’s high on our list so please stay tuned.

Thanks for the feedback!

9. option to adjust and turn off notifications for specific games

Options for players and narrators to choose what notifications they recieve from each game, including turning the notifications for a game off. for busy games notifications come so quickly they drown out quieter games so the ability to turn them down and off is oretty important. options like : only recieve notifications of a new scene, new challege, narrator move, specific character move, or no notifications would change the overnotification of busy games.

46 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ...localize the game for other languages.

Hi. I'm German, though I'd like to think my English is pretty good. Now, I happen to know a goodly amount of other Germans who enjoy writing, storytelling or role-playing. Not all of them speak English to any appreciable amount but the basic idea of your project would most certainly appeal to them.

Now I realize that you need to get Storium off the ground first before you can do anything else but I would strongly suggest seeking localization for German and French at the very least. Or barring that, explicitly stating that it's okay to run stories in a…

38 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. All Player Accessible NPC information page?

A simple editable document (basic formatting and bullet points) attached to each game, accessible to players and Narrators only, to jot notes to maintain continuity during the story. Players/Narrator could use the page to include NPC names, important plot point, bit of backstory, etc for use specifically during the composition of a move. It would need to be accessible to players while writing moves, but not need to include as many details as would be included on a previously suggested 'cast list' of NPCs.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Great suggestion, thank you! We actually have this in our evil plans. Worlds will come with narrator and player-oriented documents that provide backstory, plot ideas, etc. You’ll be able to edit and add to these in the course of play!

12. let players spectate for certain scenes

So, this is more a comment in 4+ player games, but I'm in a 2-player game right now for which it's also relevant.

It's not always reasonable that each character will be in every scene, but right now there's no way to handle that except for people to willfully refrain from participating.

That works kind of, but it doesn't alter the available currency for the narrator in the scene. (Or rather, when the "you're spending more challenge points than the players can resolve" message pops up.)

Also, it can be easy to forget when folks are deliberately spectating.

So I…

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  4 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enable player reference sections for custom worlds

With the public launch, there are new works with a "player reference" section. This appears as a separate tab in the Green Room and contains general information about the world which may be useful but not relevant enough to put in the introduction blurb or the "Info for players and invitees" section. This section should be made available to creators of custom worlds to edit, for exactly this purpose. Similarly, narrators using a pre-made worlds which includes one of these sections should be given the option to add to it, to explain where in the world their game is set…

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow for the public saving and distribution of custom Storium "worlds"

Rather than making your own each time, I think it'd be neat to have a database running of unique worlds make with all their cards written and images uploaded made by members of the community. This could allow new users to see how other narrators work within the system to make the game function according to their tastes. Plus, people could comment suggestions and/or praise concerning the world that someone else made and then ultimately use the ones they love themselves.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Three Issues I found.

I accidentally hit edit instead of approve for a pending character, then could not go back and change to approve. As a narrator, I should be able to comment, recommend and approve characters at my discretion, not wait for them to notice I hit the wrong button.

2nd item - In the beginning write up about the game, it would be nice to have a separate notes section that is separate than that which describes the world. If you look at my star wars game, youll see I have appended time stamps with game updates that really don't belong there.…

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add the ability to search the forums

With the forums filling up with posts, a search feature is becoming vital in order to find what's needed. I want to start up a new game but want to make sure someone else isn't running something similar. Right now there's no way for me to quickly search to see if something's been posted.

12 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Option to Browse Games by Genre

I'd like to be able to look through all the games made with the Steampunk world, for example. As it is now, I spend a lot of time skimming past games in genres I'm not interested in. It would be very helpful to be able to filter all or a few of those out.

(An advanced search where you can check a box for each genre you want to browse would be heaven sent, in case one wants to look through Fantasy and Steampunk at the same time, for example, but not any of the others)

22 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Card forum

I think I'll be writing a lot of location and character cards... is there any way I can make them public for others to use? Seems a shame not to.

Maybe a forum where submitted cards can be voted on by story tellers to make them available for public use (or not).

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Yes indeed, one of the major upcoming changes to Storium is the creation of “worlds”, which will allow you to share your cards (as well as other world-building content) with the rest of the Storium community.

19. Have an Etiquette Guideline

We're already running into trouble with god-modding and powerplaying, particularly with moves and information that is known to the players and shouldn't be known to characters, but players are choosing to ignore stated limits and undermine other people's actions. A short Guideline to these issues and how to avoid irritating other players would be a really good idea.

30 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Flag characters who are out of moves/cards

Since you can only have three cards per scene, it'd be useful to flag a character in a scene who had played his three. Useful for you, since you know you can't play any more and useful for other players since they know they have to carry the can.

Likewise, it would be useful to flag someone who just ran out of cards and is picking up his hand again.

16 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    planned  ·  0 comments  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4