Skip to content

General

1027 results found

1. Multiple Improvements to Favorites Implementation

There are a number of ways that we could improve our currently handling of Favorites (Stars) to make them more useful for the community. Right now, the problem is that Favoriting a story also means 'following' it for update purposes, which can make it problematic to have more than a couple if you pay attention to your Favorites feed. Part of the trouble there is also that you can't just see a list of your favorites to track one story, and then move to another that's been updating when you're ready. You're locked into chronological view-everything (and even see comments…

73 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Secret card

A card that narrator can give to one player or more without anyone seeing it or knowing about it.
    It will create a “Game of Throne” kind a story

Example: Josh saw Gerard drinking blood from a man they just killed.
    1. The narrator can give the card to Josh character and Gerard character, they both know that the other one know about it and it create a “cat mouse” relationship between the two, Gerard can't do much about it and need to be careful with his approach to Josh and Josh can use it to his advantage.
    2. The…

72 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Change how NPC characters work

I know that there is already a suggestion to: "Allow narrators to pick NPC characters for scenes without making them obstacles." But I don't think this goes far enough. Right now, characters are identical to obstacles and in many cases that does not make sense.

How this game handles NPCs as obstacles makes no sense, even when they are supposed to be hostile. When you write an NPC card, you naturally want to write a description of who they are. However, when you play such a card, your players have no idea how he/she is an obstacle. When you play…

71 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Notification email choice

It would be great to be able to check what types of notification emails you get - I don't want to be notified every time someone edits a move, but I would still like comments and moves to be emailed. Customisation of emails would be great and save me from having to make a million different Gmail filters!

67 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Play non-Strength, non-Weakness cards on top of Strength and Weakness cards

I'm never quite sure what to do with Assets, Goals, and Subplots. Talking with Judson last night, he had a neat suggestion.

Instead of playing up to three cards of any type on any challenge, make it so that players can play a Strength or a Weakness and then play Assets, Goals, or Subplots on top of that Strength or Weakness.

The move always swings the result towards a Strong or Weak outcome, but it swings it by the number of cards. So if I play a Strength, an Asset, and a Subplot, that's +3 for Strong outcome.

This allows…

66 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Unlimited Challenge Points

At the moment, I find that this limit on challenge points means that the narrator can easily fall into "railroading" their players to follow one linear path with a pass or fail outcome.

As a GM who likes to give his players choice, I'd like to offer numerous challenge options to players in one scene, beyond the limit of their cards, and see which ones interest them as the scene progresses. When their cards run out, the challenges that they couldn't spend their cards on will either have an uncertain outcome or just not be brought up at all (since…

63 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. add a function: Player is finished

We found that it might be handy to have some kind of an option, where players can indicate that they have nothing else to contribute to the scene. Once all players have activated this option, this indicates to the narrator that he can close the scene. That way nobody is left out just because they are not back from work yet ;-)

63 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Consider Branches, Sub-Areas, and Setting Decks

This mechanic would address situations normally approached by creating multiple games to contain private, individual, or side action. (If what I'm typing sounds convoluted, I've visualized the larger ideas with my extremely pedestrian MS Paint/GIMP abilities for clarification).

The feature would add a "Create Branch" option to the narrator's game interface that effectively splits a single scene into two or more smaller, contemporaneous scenes with individual settings.

The narrator would have UI controls allowing them to:
    (A) Assign/move characters to sub-scenes and control whether or not the players can move themselves freely between scenes (e.g., the difference between moving between…

58 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Play This Card As Weakness / Play This Card as Strength

So I have Strength cards which lean towards a good ending, and Weakness cards that lean towards a bad ending, and I have Assets and Subplots and Goals that lean towards… an ending.

So first, let me own up and say I'm not terribly certain what playing a non-strength, non-weakness card is supposed to represent, exactly, in the story. So maybe this is based off of a lack of understanding on my part.

However, I'd really like to be able to play Assets, Goals, and Subplots as strengths and weaknesses. I really want to be able to play them as…

56 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow narrators to start new games with characters from the old one

Sometimes in a game you reach a point where it would be dramatically appropriate to end the story, but would like to allow players to carry on later with characters as they were. I'd like a function that would allow you to end a game but start a new one with those characters, complete with all cards they had at the end of the last one.

Alternately, make it possible to start the chapter numbering over in the same game when a dramatically appropriate end point has been reached.

55 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow users to change usernames

Right now we're stuck with the one we chose when we sign up, and it might be good if Storium could allow users to change their usernames, but put a limit on it so things don't get too confusing. Or perhaps have a display name separate from the username entirely.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

If you email support@storium.com we will be happy to change your username! Please include the following info:

- your current username
    - the email address asssociated with your account
    - you first and second choices for a new user name (just in case the first is already taken)

12. Add a true wild card

I'm finding in one game that having wild strengths as goal rewards is strangely limiting. I know there'll be more reward options in the future, but what if one of those options was a true wild card? The player could set it as strong or weak (or possibly neutral, I suppose) when it's played. That would allow for a LOT more flexibility.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Narrator notes area on a game

A private text area for narrators to keep notes about the game (such as future plot ideas or plans), that they may want or need, but player's don't need to see.

53 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. The (Editable) Lore Page: Our Stories' Origins

The way a story starts in storium is through a first scenario, based on what? Theres no place to describe the lore on which the story is dependent on. It would be nice if there was a dedicated tab within the game where there was an editable lore. This would give a solid visual of the world in which the story is based in.
    It would be great if it had a controlled edit, where the host could assign certain users, or all trusted users in a private game, the ability to edit the lore as well, so that everyone…

52 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add "active on" and "vacation" options to user profiles

I've come to the conclusion that saying in chat that I only log in on certain days of the week (in every game I join) is all well and good, but not only is the effort tediously redundant, but once that first scene is done, the information is left back there with it.

I propose a line be added to the user profiles that is something to the effect of "Active On:" and then auto-filled with what the user checks in their settings. They can select certain days of the week, or other encompassing options like "Daily" or "Flexible". I…

51 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Users can now set ‘vacation mode’ through their profiles with an optional return date. When set, this displays an icon on all instances of their avatars (Narrator or player) and when clicked will display the return date so that absences can be more easily communicated. Thanks!

16. Provide Hosts with a "Please Hand Off Your Character" button

A lot of Hosts have run into the problem of players that disappear on them and the only choice you have is to force retire the character. When the character is one you genuinely need, it's highly annoying! So what if there was a way for the Storium system to provide the player with a polite way to complete the hand-off without having to suffer the embarrassment of interacting with the Host whom they have let down, or having to do anything more than send a hurried "Yes" in response to an email? Or click a button within that email?…

50 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. True Shared Narration

Single narration is great. And rotating narration adds a fun bit of chaos to proceedings...

but there are times when two or more people want to narrate a story together... and while handing narration back and forth is perfectly functional... games with more than one regular or even semi-regular narrator would flow much more smoothly if we could share narration duties with someone right from the start without either handing back and forth or manipulating the rotating narration system to get that to work.

So... yeah... another narration button in the game management screen would be great... that lets us…

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Remove Scenes from the Mechanics of the Game

In discussion with another player last night, we were reflecting on some of the hitches we're seeing with Storium. Games lag repeatedly (and I suspect: wither and die), and often because scenes are a problem. We've seen a number of games where a single big challenge meant that the players couldn't successfully complete all the challenges in a scene (especially if one player wasn't feeling it), and games where GMs continue scenes that should have changed...

Currently, a Narrator has a challenge limit per scene, players have card play limits per scene, refreshes and bonus wilds are between scenes. I…

49 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. limit how often a game can appear on the 'Looking for Players' page.

Some games seem to reappear on the Looking for Players page with monotonous regularity--usually the ones with essays for descriptions. There are several that I seem to scroll past (and past, and past) on a daily basis.

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Allow us to 'clean up' our own profiles.

I'd like us to be able to, individually, edit which of our games show up on our profile.

I was mostly concerned with the "Completed Games" list because there are games on that list which, for varied reasons, I do not think I've "earned", if that makes sense. As such, they don't reflect "me" as a writer.

I brought this up on the following thread: https://storium.com/forums#/category/general/thread/409pvw

On there, it was also suggested that there are games on the other lists that would be good to showcase, even if they were suspended, etc.

So not exactly "hiding" our histories, just adding…

48 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General