Skip to content

General

1027 results found

1. 'Last one to play always wins'

In the current framework, the last person to play a card on a Challenge gets to write the outcome for that Challenge (assuming it's not the Narrator).

That's a bit problematic in that other players can do all the 'work' (so to speak) of playing Strengths and lining up a strong outcome, but it's the person who gets in last that actually gets the narrative control.

Best case scenario, that can mean that a player who simply hasn't had the time to respond right away (which is the case in my group) suddenly gets the narrative power and is put…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks very much for that thoughtful feedback. This is one of the key mechanisms we are evaluating in this playtest, so it’s great to hear what you think about it.

The idea behind this mechanism is the “winner gets to narrate” model encourages people to play more cards sooner and make moves faster, so as to win control more often. Essentially, it’s a carrot to motivate people to “play harder”. And since playing your cards gets you closer to getting new cards, it is always a good thing to do it, even when you don’t end up winning the challenge.

Now, whether or not this is all actually true — and effective — remains to be seen. We’re keeping a close eye on it and will keep your feedback in mind for sure! Stay tuned…

2. Sort by languages

Although I am quite fluent in english, writing comes way easier to me in my native language (german). Could you provide a search option for games in a different language?

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. notepad - scribbles - concept notes

It would be nice for the narrator - but also for the players - to have a private notepad. The narrator could assemble ideas for long-term plot development there and have it connected right to the story. A player could take notes about conditions and planned development for their own character or important facts in a story.
    For each story its own note-place.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Allow narrator or another player to take over inactive characters as player characters after 2 weeks

I've heard about a lot of games getting bogged down because of inactive players just dropping out & not letting anyone know. I've seen that happen both in a game I'm playing in and may have the same issue happening with a game I narrate (the player hasn't done anything with his character in 2 weeks).

After a reasonable amount of time, could the narrator possibly take over for that character, with all the strength, weakness, subplot, etc cards available as to any other character? Perhaps an option in addition to "Retire" that pops up after 2 weeks of inactivity…

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Allow players to see which of the players in their scene are online

In game it would be like getting the attention of someone in the room as opposed to those who might be lost in thought or paying attention to something else. In Gmail or Facebook there is the ability to see who of your friends are online right then. I don't know how complicated that would be, but it's an ideal.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Allow different picture dimensions.

Right now, the only pictures that work well with Storium is landscape view. The picture places itself over the text. It would be nice, we had the option to align the picture vertically next to the text.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Historical Fiction?

I teach world history and would love a way for students to "play through" historical settings. Could we look for authors to add historical fiction modules?

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow option to name Chapters and Scenes via actual word boxes.

Pretty much what it says, allow the option to name chapters and scenes outside of the main post. People currently do this, so implementing it officially would not be a terrible idea.

26 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Allow users to edit/delete comments

Minor thing: I'd like to be able to go back and edit things I've written in the commentary. Along the same lines, and mentioned by others: letting the comment box grow as we type, and allowing for multiple paragraph comments (I tried using shift+enter to start a new graph which accidentally posted my comment which prompted this feedback). Not a huge deal, but would be useful to long-winded jerks like me.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. YouTube embeds

It would be a very neat tool for conveying mood, atmosphere, information, or just background music if YouTube videos could be embedded within posts. I use it often in a play-by-forum game running on Vanilla.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Notifications API/Feed

It'd be great to have either an RSS/Atom feed for notifications or an API to get at them. What I'd love to be able to do is throw together a quick application that sits in my systray (yeah, I'm a windows user) and display when I have new statuses. A feed or API would make that a lot easier.

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. more customizable pre-made characters

I love the idea of the Pre-Made characters, largely because, for instance, a noire game needs a femme-fatale, a engenue and a hard-boiled detective (or reporter), however, i don't feel the need to tell the player what weaknesses and strengths should be chosen.

I tried creating a game with pre-made characters and my player was able to edit the name and description, but was stuck with the strengths and weaknesses that i chose.

I'm sure this isn't a high priority, but i'd love to be able to set a customizability level. Something like: lock nature only; lock nature, strengths, weaknesses;…

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Fullblown HTML for posts please?

Can we please have access to the full range of HTML coding for writing in games? The handicapped markup is just not enough!

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. All Player Accessible NPC information page?

A simple editable document (basic formatting and bullet points) attached to each game, accessible to players and Narrators only, to jot notes to maintain continuity during the story. Players/Narrator could use the page to include NPC names, important plot point, bit of backstory, etc for use specifically during the composition of a move. It would need to be accessible to players while writing moves, but not need to include as many details as would be included on a previously suggested 'cast list' of NPCs.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Great suggestion, thank you! We actually have this in our evil plans. Worlds will come with narrator and player-oriented documents that provide backstory, plot ideas, etc. You’ll be able to edit and add to these in the course of play!

15. Allow the narrator to offer options for what the next scene will be.

I'm doing it informally by putting in [Do you want to pursue the suspect? Go back to the station? Check with your sources? Something else?] at the end of the scene closing. The players can then choose the next scene, rather than the narrator picking it for them.

I would love to see some tool put in to allow that rather than having to do it informally.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Collaborative Draft Editing

TL;DR - Allow moves to be reviewed/edited by everyone before final submission, per approval of the move author. Perhaps include co-authoring moves.

Generally, in a GM/Player setup, players only control their own character, while the GM controls all facets of the environment and NPCs. Storium is not like other games, though, since gameplay takes the form of writing. Players are, of course, not limited by the system to use NPCs or other PCs in their submissions, but they also aren't encouraged to, and trying to do so has some risk.

Only writing for one's own character can become very limiting,…

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Private Scene Continuation

One of my characters has just met a tragic fate, or so it seems. I would like to be able to give her a scene continuation that only she can see about where she finds herself, before revealing her cards later if they decide to leave her or if they try and look for her.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Allow users to swap between character pictures when multiples in one game

Allow users who have more than one character in a game to be able to switch pictures while on their main profile page. Right now it defaults to the last created character for that game. I'd like the option to switch it, like switching roles while in game.

24 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Poke specific laggard

Laggard-poking implies that it will only email people who have made zero moves this scene.

But with a lot of back and forth, this counter might not email people who have already moved.

So it would be great if the laggard-poking could have a few presets: "all" "those who can still play cards" "those who haven't moved at all" Plus "X specific player", of course!

I know you're already planning to allowing editable poke text, so that's cool!

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Make card limits more flexible.

1.Allow the narrator to set the card use per scene limit on a per scene limit.

e.g. The narrator can allow players to only play 2 cords per scene or 4 cards per scene

1. Allow the narrator to set per challenge limits

e.g. The narrator sets the scene limit to 3 cards but sets the challenge limit to 2. Players can play a maximum of 3 cards in the scene but cannot play more than 2 cards on a given challenge.

Define challenge rewards

The narrator can set hidden cards as a reward for the completing the challenge with a…

23 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Narrators are now able to set the scene card limits on a scene by scene basis, allowing all players anywhere from 1-5 card plays in each scene.

• Don't see your idea?

General

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base